Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
markyjoa

Self seeder

MarkyJoa
11 years ago

Purchased first home 18 mos ago. Getting around to surveying the flower beds. One bed seems to have vigorous, self-seeding garlic growing. This stuff grows like weeds! It seems to have no problem competing with viola and even creeper vine. I have an area that the stuff grows in clumps. Turn over a shovel of it and there are 30-40 three-quarter to one inch bulbs. On a whim I tried keeping some over winter. About 1/3 of them are still edible. Most dried out and got papery.

I know letting the scapes go is no good for the bulb. Is there any merit to allowing the garlic to take care of itself?I am afraid to disturb it too much because it seems to do so well.

I read somewhere that self seeded garlic has just a small onion-like bulb its first year. I have been pulling some of the smaller plants and using as is.I have some that grows in a waste area that does not top out, maybe too shady?

Is it better to settle for less maintenance of happy plants with lighter yield or heavily culture a few plants for high yield? Still learning...

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Stanford Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Luxury Interior Design Services | Northern Virginia