Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pros and cons of harvesting onions early

Posted by MairzyZ5 none (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 27, 12 at 12:06

I know that onions "ripen" after 110+ days, and that they need to cure to be stored, but, as a new onion grower, can someone help me with the pros and cons of harvesting early? Sometimes I just want to grab a little onion from the garden and add it to my dinner. Are there good reasons to wait? Chemical or biological reasons to wait? Or is it okay to just go for it and enjoy them fresh?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pros and cons of harvesting onions early

Just go for it and enjoy them fresh! They taste the same to me! But I'm no expert!

o

Concur, the only reason to wait until maturity, is that they can be stored for a period of time depending on the cultivar. Green onions need to be used immediately.

o

Tagging along on this...

I know that some say that when your onions start to lay down by themselves, you can just bend over the tops of the rest. But is there any problem with lifting the onions at this point and starting the drying process (under cover)without waiting for the onions to dry in the field?

o

The maximum growth stage is when the onion plants start to bend over. as long as the leaves are good the onion is immature.

o

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.USA (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 28, 12 at 21:23

I planted first multiplying onion in the Spring of 2011 & harvest in June(catalog said too). But this year my onions are still standing tall, so I am going to wait till the tops fall over.
But I want to see how long they will store.

o

Thanks, everyone! I have a few that are starting to get to a decent size, so I'll probably start eating fresh onions any day now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here