Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Mushy' Onions from sets...Help!

Posted by lonmower zone8 Western Oregon (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 21, 11 at 12:12

As an "experiment" ...Last late fall I planted some yellow (Walla Walla?) sets. They came up fine and grew throughout our cool wet spring. A few week ago they put up flower shoots which I trimmed off. It is still cool here...today will be in the low 80's. OK, they still look good and are trying to bulb...however every one that I have pulled has a mushy immature bulb.

These are my questions...
1) Am I just being impatient and the bulbs will firm up given more time?
2) If not, what caused this? Like I said this was kind of an experiment.

I could use the space they are in, so if the crop has failed, I will pull them ASAP.

Thanks in advance!
LonMower

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Mushy' Onions from sets...Help!

Pull them! It appears our La Nina spring has affected many plantings. As a side note; I never plant sets; always 'plants' or direct seeding.

o

If you are growing from sets you are growing a plant that has already bulbed but might still be immature enough to be tricked into forming a larger bulb instead of going to seed. Which does not always work because of all of the variables - the handling of the bulbs, timing, weather...
When you first see the flower stalk they are still good as green onions - so planting sets is not a total waste if you can be flexible. I would definately do what rain150 said and pull them - they are spent.

Best of luck!

o
RE: 'Mushy' Onions from sets...Help!!

Just wanted to add that when I pulled my bolted sets there was a mushy layer that I just pulled off in the sink when cleaning them (it made it easy to clean them up). So there might be something usable on yours.

o

Caramelize 'em in a pan & freeze in small amounts for later. Yum!

Corrine

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here