Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tjg911

anyone know what these are?

TJG911
17 years ago

here in western connecticut around the last week in april for about 3-4 weeks there grows a green leafed plant that tastes like garlic. the leaves are smooth, soft not rigid and a bit crunchy, about 1-2" wide and 4-9" long depending upon how long they grew/when you picked them. the taste is strongly garlic in nature and they are wonderful! we tried to pull some to see if there is a bulb but the leaves just broke off at ground level. we never dug up a plant. they grow wild in the woods or by the roadside in rich forest land prior to the trees leafing out, we even found some around may 14 when trees were almost fully leafed out, in areas varying in size from a few feet across to several dozen of feet. i suspose that depends upon how well established they are. i ate them raw but was told they are excellent cooked with mushrooms. names are local so i saved this for last because i think it is meaningless UNLESS you are in western central CT and use the same name - scapes. these plants are NOT the scapes that grow out of garlic that you grow in your garden. i have grown garlic and know what those scapes are. i did not see any flowers or anything else to describe these.

i assume they are a wild garlic. we have wild garlic and onions but they have thin stalks like tiny onions not flat leaves and grow in tight clusters. anyone know what these are?

tom

Comments (7)

Sponsored