Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
anyone know what these are?

Posted by tjg911 z5b CT (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 1, 06 at 12:37

here in western connecticut around the last week in april for about 3-4 weeks there grows a green leafed plant that tastes like garlic. the leaves are smooth, soft not rigid and a bit crunchy, about 1-2" wide and 4-9" long depending upon how long they grew/when you picked them. the taste is strongly garlic in nature and they are wonderful! we tried to pull some to see if there is a bulb but the leaves just broke off at ground level. we never dug up a plant. they grow wild in the woods or by the roadside in rich forest land prior to the trees leafing out, we even found some around may 14 when trees were almost fully leafed out, in areas varying in size from a few feet across to several dozen of feet. i suspose that depends upon how well established they are. i ate them raw but was told they are excellent cooked with mushrooms. names are local so i saved this for last because i think it is meaningless UNLESS you are in western central CT and use the same name - scapes. these plants are NOT the scapes that grow out of garlic that you grow in your garden. i have grown garlic and know what those scapes are. i did not see any flowers or anything else to describe these.

i assume they are a wild garlic. we have wild garlic and onions but they have thin stalks like tiny onions not flat leaves and grow in tight clusters. anyone know what these are?

tom

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: anyone know what these are?

Wild ramps grow in Tennessee and West Virginia.....don't know where else they may be found. You could google ramps and see if they look the same. Wikopedia has a pic and I think they taste like onion and garlic, I don't eat them. We have ramp festivals.
Kiki

o

ugh! i'm an idiot!

RAMPS! yes that's the name not scapes! brain failure!

so you have ramps and obviously called them by the same name as up here.

if you like garlic, if, why don't you eat the ramps? they are very good tasting.

tom

o

I think my FIL ruined it for me, lol. He puts them in canned tomato juice and anything else he can think of. And when he thinks a small bit is good he KNOWS tons of it would be better. He did the same thing with celery seed, yuk!
Kiki

o

They are called wild leeks in this part of the world but go by lots of names including ramps. They are a delicious first treat of the season and greatly anticipated in our household. Definitely worth digging up the tastey bulbs. The whole plant can be eaten raw or cooked. As with all wild plants, be sure to harvest sustainably.

o

The bulbs can be pickled and then make a tasty addition to guacamole, salsas, ketchup, etc. A jar of them will keep in the fridge for ages.

o

more replies! great!

how large is the bulb? say the leaves are 7" long i suspect the bulb is small like 1/4"?

do they transplant well? most wildflowers do not transplant well. flowers require specific soil chemistry, sun/shade, drainage/slope, what else? i've tried to move wild flowers for the most part it's not worth it. so do ramps transplant well? i'd love to grow a 20' X 20' patch in my yard. i have full sun to near full shade.

how long are ramps out? since they appear in mid to late april i'm assuming about 3-4 weeks? i'm sure they are gone now due to they'd be in full shade and the heat of summer!

thanks,

tom

o

• Posted by billme 6 Pennsylvania (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 22, 06 at 8:51

Chefs love 'em.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here