Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should white onions bloom?

Posted by matriarchy 6 in PA (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 11, 08 at 12:46

I am growing yellow, white, and green onions for the first time. I planted white and yellow sets in March, and they seem to be doing very nicely. But today I see that one of the white onions has a bulb thing on the top - I guess it wants to bloom?

We just had a big heatwave in the upper 90's here in the NE - 20 degrees hotter than usual for June. Did that make the onion "bolt"? Should I cut it off? Let it bloom?

What signs am I looking for to know when to harvest my onions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should white onions bloom?

I'd cut it off and then either pull the onion now and use it or let it size up and remove the central stalk (which may get hard) and use that onion first. What's happening is that the onion thinks it's on it's second season of growth and it's making a seed head rather than a bulb that stores energy. This happens more with sets just due to the way that they are produced and the recent heat didn't trigger it.

Since onions are day length sensitive, the long day varieties that you're growing in PA will wait until they get around 14 - 16 hours of sun a day and then start to make bulbs and I'd guess that's starting in the next week or so. What you'll see next is that the onions will probably start expanding up and out of the ground so that you'll see at least the shoulders as they continue to grow. In around 3-4 weeks, the necks of the onions will start to get soft and the tops will fall over. This is the sign that they are done growing and you can harvest them at that time ... I'd guess middle to end of July for you. Once harvested, remember to hang them somewhere for a few weeks in order for them to cure and let the necks dry down so that you get the best storage out of them.

o

Thank you! The onion crop in general looks so nice and robust. I am really excited about it. They seem simple to grow and easy to weed.

What would I do if I wanted to produce my own sets from year to year?

o

Thanks, I also live here in central Pa and have some white onions. About half are tall and blooming, and the remainder have fallen over. Was wondering if I should harvest now. Looks like it is time to harvest, which is great. Will give me room in the raised bed for some other crop.. Thanks again for the advice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here