Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
exmar

Early Garlic Harvest

Hi Folks,

I've been growing "Music" Galic for about ten years. Just like last year, this year it's ready to harvest a month early? Bulbs are mature and ready, but "historically" I plant in October and harvest towards the end of July.

Anyone else noticed this?

Be well,

Ev

Comments (8)

• kristincarol
    10 years ago

Yes, very early here in coastal Northern California, too.

• Karlieb
    10 years ago

Last year (my first) year, I ended up harvesting on June 1 and some of the bulbs had already started to separate.

I did harvest a couple that had more dead leaves than most today but the rest of them still have 6 to 7 leaves left so they're sticking around for a bit longer.

We had a late Spring start, though. Last year I planted tomatoes at the end of March, this year not till the 10th of May. We only just this week started having temps in the 90's. First week of June was all mid-70's with one high of 64.

• exmar zone 7, SE Ohio
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Interesting. I've been gardening, primarily vegetable for over 50 years and the weather patterns the last few seasons have me stumped.

I'm glad the "guvment" assures us there's no climate change or global warming. Anyone remember winter? Here in SE Ohio we haven't had a "real" winter in years. :-)

thanks for the responses,

Ev

• Mrs.WinterWheat
    10 years ago

Maybe up here we took your winter :P
    Out last snow was mid April and there was still snow on the ground till almost the end of April. It delayed seeding by farmers quite a bit because no one could start dealing with their equipment till the start of May.
    That meant my garlic didn't sprout till mid May.
    Today my music was ready to have the scapes taken off and it was very exciting :) (yes a newbie here). So I am making a few jars of pickled scapes right now!

• exmar zone 7, SE Ohio
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Mrs. Wheat,
    I'm sure you're aware that Music was developed up there. My wife has a "hobby business" wherein she sells Music online. What I found interesting is how many of your countrymen buy it? Something about the readily available garlic is from China and doesn't taste right. Anyway, if you want a hobby business....

Ev

• Mrs.WinterWheat
    10 years ago

Thanks Eve!
    I have heard great things about garlic being popular up here but didn't know that about the Music. I kind of just picked it because the description :)
    I hope to be able to get a small side business going and link it in with the branding of the farm my hubby is working on.

• Karlieb
    10 years ago

Exmar,

This is only my third year of gardening and I find it amusing, and a little disturbing, that this is also only my third year of paying attention to weather patterns other than "it's hot" or "it's cold". My first two years were record heat and drought years so this year, in my zipcode, feels cool and wet even though rain and temperature patterns have mostly followed the 30 year average.

I'm really glad that, as a newbie, I don't use 'official' dates for planting.

• exmar zone 7, SE Ohio
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Karlieb, with three years experience you know something about the "new" weather patterns. That being said, you might want to pay attention to your published (average of alot of years) last spring frost date, apply a little "kentucky windage" to it perhaps. Having beans, tomatoes, peppers, etc. Get frosted ain't fun. After all, the "hot weather" crops don't care when they go in, you'll still get a crop-assuming you have access to water.

Another key is soil temperature, buy a cheap thermometer and bury it halfway. We've had 80-90 days in marcb yet the soil was in the mid thirties. No seeds would germinate in that except the "cold weather" crops like spinach, lettuce, radish and they would only be thinking about it.

I once read "A garden is a work in progress." With the new weather patterns that takes on a whole 'nother meaning. :-)

Ev

Sponsored