Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New garden - having trouble growing onions

Posted by agmss15 4 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 30, 13 at 13:26

Hi all - I need onion growing help. I have a fairly new vegetable garden - 21/2 years. I started with typical central Maine soil - rocky and acidic. I have added lime and organic matter. I know it is going to be a few more years before I can expect my soil to be decent. While I was generally pleased with what I harvested both this year and last - I am not doing well with onions. I got a harvest of tiny onions last season. This year I planted seedlings of two types of onions and leeks. I have been watering regularly, side dressed them once. They are green and healthy and growing very very slowly. I looked at my mom's onions yesterday and realized how slow indeed! While it would be nice to get something this fall I am mostly wondering about getting better results next year. Any ideas - more lime, compost??? FWIW Tomatoes, cucumbers, summer squashes, carrots, beans, cabbages, kohlrabi, various greens, lettuces etc.. produced enough to make me happy.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New garden - having trouble growing onions

I followed Dixondale farms instruction for growing onion. Here is the picture of my onion.

o
RE: New garden - having trouble growing onions

• Posted by QBush 6, NE MA (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 24, 13 at 8:14

agmss,
I had the same problem last year with onions from sets, and followed advice to try plants. This years crop is looking much, much better. I have three beds devoted to onions, two of which seem to be having faster, more robust growth. Those beds had beans; one Fortex, one yellow bush (forgot variety) After I had harvested LOADS of beans I cut the vines, chopped them, and dug them back into the soil with relatively fresh horse manure. On one bed I planted a crop of field peas as a cover crop. Tilled in spring, no added fertilizer. Bed with pea cover crop seems to be doing best...

While I can't plant as straight a row as jamesandfely (nice crop guys!!!) I have harvested about ten pounds of reasonably sized Copra from a 20 foot row. Haven't harvested Patterson yet, but they look even better.

All of the above being said I am new to onions, and was advised against some of the things I have done. However gardening as an experience is all about balance. Keep notes and keep trying!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here