Houzz Logo Print
oregon_veg

Where to buy

oregon_veg
18 years ago

Hi,

Who, in your opinion, has the best variety of softneck

organic garlic to choose from? I want to try 4 or 5 diferent

varieties to try in my area but can't seem to find an online store with a good variety.

Thanks,

Tom

Comments (9)

• glane1219
    18 years ago

Hi, Try www.Thegarlicstore.com as they have a nice selection and my favorite is www.threeoaksfarm.com, Both of these have sent me very nice garlic the last couple of years. Three Oaks Farm has nice garlic for only $6.00lb but you have to mail them payment as they do not do credit cards and they don't charge much for shipping.
    Hopes this helps
    Gary

• garliclady
    18 years ago

I like Garlicsmiths, They have a good selection of turbans and asiatic softnecks

Here is a link that might be useful: Garlicsmiths

• gardenlad
    18 years ago

Also try Filaree Farm and Blue Moon Farm. I don't have the URLs handy, but you can find them with a search easy enough.

Keep in mind, though, that as a general rule, softnecks do better in the south and hardnecks in the north. So you might be a little disappointed in any softneck you choose.

• garliclady
    18 years ago

Garden lad he is in zone 8, he should be fine with softnecks. I would expect the turbans would really do well they do great for us here in zone 7 as well as artichoke types . Our Kettle River Giant is huge this year . We got the seed from Garlicsmiths in Washington State where it is grown. Tom is from oregon, getting local(regional) should be easy, there are several good garlic farms in oregon & washington

• oregon_veg
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for all the responses.
    I'll give them a look.
    I'm really excited about trying some garlic
    here in southern Oregon. Hope it does well.

Thanks again,
    Tom

• oregon_veg
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Okay, so here's a dumb question.
    I wanted to get some early because I was told that they sell out quickly. But it seems they are already sold out of the kinds I want and some aren't taking pre-orders for fall.
    Am I missing something here?
    When do you buy your garlic and how are you sure that
    it is available?
    Thanks,
    Tom

• Warthog7
    18 years ago

Tom

Give it another month before you look. Harvests are just starting so they will not update the webpages until they know what is availble.

Try Kettle River Giant and Silverrose they both grow well for me.

Warthog

• gardenlad
    18 years ago

Whoops! Don't know why but I read it that he was in Michigan. Thus my comment about hardnecks & softnecks.

FWIW, the Kettle River Giant is a fantastic choice; a true garlic that grows almost as large as Elephant Garlic. And with great flavor.

However, for me it's keeping qualities left something to be desired. All my hardnecks outlasted it by several orders of magnitude.

• garliclady
    18 years ago

Right now we grow 15 varieties But...
    We have narrowed it down to 3 softnecks 2 for taste one for size and beauty.
    Inchilliam- My favorite Raw garlic
    Lorz Italian- Stronger and tastier than most softnecks and stores well
    Kettle River Giant- Very big& makes beautiful braids

We have some new turbans that are great too

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County