Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to buy

Posted by oregon_veg 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 10, 05 at 13:38

Hi,

Who, in your opinion, has the best variety of softneck
organic garlic to choose from? I want to try 4 or 5 diferent
varieties to try in my area but can't seem to find an online store with a good variety.
Thanks,
Tom

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to buy

Hi, Try www.Thegarlicstore.com as they have a nice selection and my favorite is www.threeoaksfarm.com, Both of these have sent me very nice garlic the last couple of years. Three Oaks Farm has nice garlic for only $6.00lb but you have to mail them payment as they do not do credit cards and they don't charge much for shipping.
Hopes this helps
Gary

o

I like Garlicsmiths, They have a good selection of turbans and asiatic softnecks

Here is a link that might be useful: Garlicsmiths

o

Also try Filaree Farm and Blue Moon Farm. I don't have the URLs handy, but you can find them with a search easy enough.

Keep in mind, though, that as a general rule, softnecks do better in the south and hardnecks in the north. So you might be a little disappointed in any softneck you choose.

o

Garden lad he is in zone 8, he should be fine with softnecks. I would expect the turbans would really do well they do great for us here in zone 7 as well as artichoke types . Our Kettle River Giant is huge this year . We got the seed from Garlicsmiths in Washington State where it is grown. Tom is from oregon, getting local(regional) should be easy, there are several good garlic farms in oregon & washington

o

Thanks for all the responses.
I'll give them a look.
I'm really excited about trying some garlic
here in southern Oregon. Hope it does well.

Thanks again,
Tom

o

Okay, so here's a dumb question.
I wanted to get some early because I was told that they sell out quickly. But it seems they are already sold out of the kinds I want and some aren't taking pre-orders for fall.
Am I missing something here?
When do you buy your garlic and how are you sure that
it is available?
Thanks,
Tom

o

Tom

Give it another month before you look. Harvests are just starting so they will not update the webpages until they know what is availble.

Try Kettle River Giant and Silverrose they both grow well for me.

Warthog

o

Whoops! Don't know why but I read it that he was in Michigan. Thus my comment about hardnecks & softnecks.

FWIW, the Kettle River Giant is a fantastic choice; a true garlic that grows almost as large as Elephant Garlic. And with great flavor.

However, for me it's keeping qualities left something to be desired. All my hardnecks outlasted it by several orders of magnitude.

o

Right now we grow 15 varieties But...
We have narrowed it down to 3 softnecks 2 for taste one for size and beauty.
Inchilliam- My favorite Raw garlic
Lorz Italian- Stronger and tastier than most softnecks and stores well
Kettle River Giant- Very big& makes beautiful braids

We have some new turbans that are great too

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here