Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prachi_gw

Does anyone know what happened to "we grow garlic.com"

Prachi
10 years ago

EDIT: Nevermind... I just got a reply.... if I can figure out how to delete the post I will

This post was edited by prachi on Sun, Jun 23, 13 at 15:30

Comments (15)

• little_minnie
    10 years ago

When do you think the website will be updated for this year? I need to compare prices and if they are clear of Asters Yellows I prefer them.

• Prachi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

She was saying there harvest will be ready in Mid July. She doesn't know what prices will exactly be till harvest comes but they are aiming for $12.50 for 5 bulbs.

Are you on their email list? She mentioned they will send out an email when their garlic becomes available.

• little_minnie
    10 years ago

Thanks.

• little_minnie
    10 years ago

I am pretty disappointed with them this year. Many varieties are not available and those that are are very limited in supply! I am worried it isn't from not being able to weed as they say but from disease. They said they planted less this year and there was a back surgery that kept them from weeding. I sure wish I could find another source with lots of variety and more reasonable prices out there!

• Karen (Nebr)
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

They seem to be gone again. Does anyone know what happened? I sincerely hope it's not nematodes,

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    6 years ago

Karen - they closed up in 2014 but said they were going to try to keep some of their best varieties going in a limited number in case they decided to get back in at some point. Their website hasn't been updated since 2014. There was another garlic farm called Big Red Barn garlic in Wisconsin that had 20+ varieties but they closed up this year too.

Good luck finding some garlic to plant this fall! I would try to find some locally if you can or find an online vendor that is fairly close to your location with similar climate. You don't list your zone or location so I can't steer you towards a site.

• OldDutch (Zone 4 MN)
    6 years ago

We have at least one source on the retail shelves here in Minneapolis, the two locations of Mother Earth Gardens. They have their bulb stock of seed garlic right along with that of their tulip bulbs. Good looking bulbs, too, at least they were a couple of weeks back. Most nurseries around here do not stock fall seed garlic, though.

I also suggest some Googling. There seem to be more on-line suppliers who have not completely sold out at this point than in prior years. What I ordered was placed quite some time ago and the last is now being shipped; so I ordered early and keep most of my own stock anyway, but I still enjoy shopping. It seems to me that I am seeing fewer out of stocks this fall than in previous years.

BTW I have had pretty good luck with seed garlic from the Pacific NW even though I garden in Minnesota. My original Music stock came from Red Gate in Montana and has been good from the beginning. Those who live in Wisconsin might want to stop in the Jung's garden centers. I got my VietNamese Red replacement from them online this fall. My yellow multiplier onions also originally came from them.

One might also search on line, in farmer's markets or in grocery stores for organic culinary garlic. Those will normally be a bit smaller but can also be seeded. Those are not always or even often labeled as to variety however.

• Karen (Nebr)
    6 years ago

@LoneJack Zn 6a, KC Thanks for the heads up! I've edited my profile to include my growing zone which is 5b in Nebraska. Good to hear that they chose and that it wasn't a blight.

I did try a local farmer's market but only one of them knew the type of garlic they were selling and it was very limited.

• OldDutch (Zone 4 MN)
    6 years ago

Just got back from Backman's main garden center here in Minneapolis. They are carrying seed garlic this fall for the first time. What they had today was Music. Curiously it looks to me like their Dutch tulip suppliers are the source and the bulbs were grown in the Netherlands, just like their tulip bulbs.

• wolverine1012
    6 years ago

I originally ordered garlic from one of the big online garden stores in August. They continuously moved back the shipping date to the point that I was running out of good weather to plant and I lost confidence in them anyway.

I then placed an order with seedsnow.com and it was shipped in two days, received in four.

They still show several types available on their website.

• OldDutch (Zone 4 MN)
    6 years ago

August is pretty late. Although quite a number of mail order nurseries seem to still have stock. I normally place my orders as soon as possible when they open their stocks in summer or late spring. I have to say that dealing directly with the growers has never resulted in me getting delayed orders. I have pretty much always gotten good service from all of them. I definitely prefer to deal directly with the growers, if I can. I like those who specialize in garlics and shop among them for any replacement seedings I may need, although anymore most of my seed stock is my own grown.

BTW this year I am experimenting with 8"x8" spacing in the beds, hoping for harvesting a little larger bulbs.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    6 years ago

It looks like Big Red Barn garlic in Wisconsin also closed down this year. They didn't have nearly the number of varieties as WeGrowGarlic but Barbara (the owner) was very nice and had great service and grew some very nice bulbs. I bought Estonia Red from her a few years back and she threw in an extra bulb. I am still growing it in my garden.

• OldDutch (Zone 4 MN)
    6 years ago

Looks like Grey Duck may be down too, at least for web sales. I never bought from them but was impressed with their website. Red Gate and Whistling Duck both seem to still have stock available in several varieties. My original Music came from Red Gate; they bent over backwards to help me recover from an almost total winterkill. The cloves hit the bed came right up and have never disappointed me in the several years since.

It is my impression that there is more online stock still available this fall than in previous years.

• OldDutch (Zone 4 MN)
    6 years ago

I did the market thing a couple of different times some years back. Way too much work! At least for me, and the hardnecks which I prefer take quite a pile of hand labor. I am no spring chicken anymore. But growing for fun and enlightenment has some definite appeal, provided I get the scale right. I could use another lot (and a couple more decades of healthy living while I am at the wishing well). I try to be pretty careful who I buy from on line, and that does not include EBAY which I avoid with a passion.

I am toying with the idea of spring garlic cloves planted around my tomatoes and squashes to see if that can keep the squirrels out. Just a few minutes ago I stepped out my back door and 5 of the tree rats headed for cover. But now that the garlic beds are sprouting they aren't digging in it any more either. Something has to be done! But I gave up hunting some decades ago; so I am not much of a killer.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES