Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bananastand

Hope for shaded garlic?

bananastand
12 years ago

OK, I'll admit it: I brazenly planned to grow garlic, even though my raised bed does not get full sun. It's in a location where the former homeowner had a swingset, so while I'd like to have put the bed in where it's sunnier, A) The precious few sunny spots in my yard aren't really suited to a raised bed being plopped down, and B) this swingset area was a good base for a raised bed because the plot of grass had already been killed and covered with sand. Last summer was my first growing season in the bed, and I was successful growing radishes, kale, lettuce, sugar snap peas, spinach, leeks, parsley and beautiful cosmos ... and I also have a perennial box right next to this which plays host to irises (full sun requirement) that bloomed beautifully this year. My growing medium is a mix of compost from three different sources, peat and vermiculite.

So I decided to play the odds, figuring the garlic would do fine. I planted two varieties last October, dutifully putting them in the ground at the required depth, superstitiously timing it with the full moon cycle, and deeply mulching them. I foliar fed them with fish emulsion from March through May. And now here I am in late June and I have no scapes yet. Mind you, all our veggies in Wisconsin are about 2 weeks behind because of our awful spring weather.

Do you think I have any hope for nice, developed bulbs at some point? Will I ever get scapes, do you think?

Hopeful...

Comments (3)

Sponsored