Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Globemaster Seeds

Posted by echinaceamaniac 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 18, 08 at 16:35

I have collected Globemaster Seeds and have conflicting info about the seeds being sterile. One article said you can plant the seeds and another said they are sterile. Have any of you planted the seed? I'd hate to waste any time planting sterile seeds!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Globemaster Seeds

hi - Globemasters are sterile. ^The way to propagate them is in late summer dig them up. You will find that 1 bulb now has a 2nd bulb attached. Replant the bulbs right away and so on for forever. The bulbs will get larger and larger and as the years roll by so will the number of your bulbs. I started out with 3 bulbs at $35.00 each when they 1st came out and last summer we had 4 5 gallon buckets of them to get in the ground. They are truly a joy to have. I have people who are not gardeners stop by to see what these round flowers are. After blooming I leave the brown flower until the stems get to weak to support them - it adds some garden interest I think. Then when the bloom stalk bends over is when we dig them up. Replant right away to give them a head start on getting settled. in before winter.

o

Maybe these aren't Globemaster then. They have tons of seeds in them. The blooms were huge. What other plant could these be? Maybe she was wrong about the variety. Do sterile plants still make seeds?

o

large alliums that set seed for me include
purple sensation
and christophii ( star of persia)

from what I've read the PS don't have as good color from seed
and the latter didn't germinate for me but did for my neighbor ( she claims)
Karen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here