Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ddnray

Hardneck Garlic Re-Sprouting....

DDnRay
9 years ago

Our hardneck garlic is sprouting new stalks around its center stalk... each clove has a center stalk... any ideas as to why

Comments (5)

• OldDutch (Zone 4 MN)
    9 years ago

Sometimes a second scape will break after the first is cut off. Is that what you mean?

If so, just give it a while to grow out some and then trim that one, too. I think I have one doing this in my own patch this year. It seems to me that this is more likely when scapes are taken too young.

It is my conclusion that going over the bed a couple of times and only taking the best developed scapes each time will reduce this. I don't think it is any big deal in the first place.

• DDnRay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No its not where the scape was its pushing a new scape between the leaves.... I believe it is bolting but I'm not sure why we put Urea on the field last October could that be it?

• mav72
    9 years ago

You only planted one clove and not a whole head/bulb, correct?

If thats the case, of my silverskin garlic is doing this... I think the reason may be the way the leaves are set up to grow. Garlic leaves start out kind of like cone shaped tubes. As they grow, the leaves split which give garlic their strap-like appearance and new growth continues to emerge from the area. This growth cycle creates the stem... What I think is happening is that sometimes the leaf doesn't split and the new growth tries to emerg somewhere else.

I spent some time yesterday pulling leaves out of leaves on the one plant. Thats how I came to this conclusion. I really don't know what caused it but we've been having some wierd weather since last winter.

• DDnRay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, we only planted one clove and when we pulled one yesterday, instead of one hard stalk each clove has developed its own stalk - there are up to 8 hard necks around one central hard neck

This post was edited by DDnRay on Tue, Jun 24, 14 at 16:13

• OldDutch (Zone 4 MN)
    9 years ago

You seem to be saying that the bulb you intended to harvest has instead had its cloves start growing already. (BTW hardnecks almost always bolt - that is the scape we cut off.)

Are you having a lot of this or only a very small percent? And where are you located? Up here in Minnesota we are only now getting bulb formation and clove generation. In a longer growing season perhaps untimely rains interferred with proper drydown and restarted growth including some of the cloves that were mature enough.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES