Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garlic planting

Posted by silversolara (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 26, 07 at 17:07

My father wants to grow garlic . . . he lives in Southwestern Pennsylvania . . . I tried some of the sites you suggested.

Do these places sell bulbs to plant?

Any other suggestions . . . .also how far apart do you plant garlic and how much would one pound of garlic cover area wise.

THANKS.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garlic planting

I planted my first ever garlic last November. I purchased a starter pack from Filaree Farm (they're online). We live in Southern Indiana zone 5. They sent a small booklet that gave planting directions, so it was pretty simple. My advice is to order soon, as the most popular bulbs sell out quickly.

Mary Ann

o

Where in Southwestern PA does he live? I live in Pittsburgh and I planted my garlic back in October, here's how they looked on June 7...

I ordered my garlic from from www.TheGarlicStore.com and www.SeedsofChange.com.

Next time, I will plant 5-6" apart (I planted some about 4" apart). I only planted the biggest cloves and cooked the smaller ones. And some varieties have 4-6 cloves while others have 9-18 cloves per bulb.

o

I've experimented with planting spacing from year to year. Seems, (for me anyway) that planting at least 6" apart yields the best results.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here