Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynnmarie_

Spanish Roja garlic

LynnMarie_
10 years ago

My Spanish Roja hasn't produced any scapes yet. Can anyone tell me if they perhaps don't make scapes? The tops have started sagging toward the north a little, and they look dry. My Duganski have scaped and their leaf tips are quite dry and yellow. I I cut their scapes off a week ago. I think they will be ready for harvest soon. But, on the other hand, it has been very warm and dry and I can't keep up on the watering. Maybe all of them are just too dry. But I am very curious about the scapes on the SR? Does anyone know if they make them?

Thanks for any help.

Lynn

Comments (5)

• elkwc
    10 years ago

Lynn it has been a few years since I grew Spanish Rojo. So can't remember for certain but being that it is a hardneck variety I'm sure it did produce scapes. I see you are from SW KS. I am also. I'm from the very SW corner. I dug about 60-70% of my garlic over the last two days. Some surprised me with the size of the bulbs and others were smaller than I hoped for. But wasn't surprised. With the drought, the wind and the tumble weeds I'm very happy overall. I battled tumble weeds all winter and spring. I left some for 7-10 days in late March. When I removed them I didn't cover them with mulch. Guess the tumble weeds had provided more insulation than I expected and I lost several. And some that survived didn't size up well. Please post when your results when you dig yours. I will know more about mine after they dry and I cut the roots and sort them. Jay

• Mark
    10 years ago

Hi Lynn,
    Spanish Roja, being a Rocambole hard-neck should send up a scape which has a double loop, specific to rocamboles. If yours hasn't done this, it's likely not Spanish Roja.
    If you're absolutely positive of your seed source, then it could possibly be that it's severely stressed which could keep it from scaping. I'm not just talking about a little dry looking and some yellow tips, but severe stress which doesn't sound like your situation at all.

Regardless of the variety, if you just cut scapes a week ago and the plants are still mostly green you may want to try and get one last deep watering on the plants. Now is the time they bulb up fast and if they are water stressed, you could end up with small garlic.

-Mark

• LynnMarie_
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the help elkwc and Mark.
    I watered deep this weekend, but before I did I dug around one bulb of each type of garlic. They both were pretty large, but don't seem to have divided yet. But it was hard to tell- I just pulled the dirt away from one side of each bulb, then pushed it back. They had subtle bulging, but don't seem to have fully divided. So I watered real good and left them be.

Mark, my source was Territorial seed co, I don't know how reliable they are?

elkwc, Im sorry to hear about your garlic. I will get some pictures taken of mine after I harvest and post them here for you. Do you have any pics of yours? I am interested to hear that you are also in SW KS. Gardening is a mixed blessing out here. The soil is good but the weather sucks(wind, hail, drought, heat) (Oh yeah, and the late freeze that took out my lilac blossoms) :p

thanks again to you both.

Lynn

• Mark
    10 years ago

Hmm, I usually think that for the price that Territorial charges, they wouldn't mess up with varieties but I guess it's still possible.
    Also, the transfer of the plants from Oregon to Kansas may have changed the scaping pattern for this first season. Garlic takes a few years to acclimate to a new region so perhaps it'll become more predictable next year if you save your own seed.

Keep us updated on your harvest!

-Mark

• JayLai
    10 years ago

Hi Lynn,

I also bought and planted Spanish Roja garlic from Territorial Seed co., and I found your post by googling the same question. My Roja did not scape at all. It made fair sized bulbs, curing now, but never scaped. Several other hard-neck varieties also from territorial did fine.

What I harvested doesn't even seem to be hard-necked. I wonder if Territorial got them snafu'd?

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County