Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Allium Globemaster and Lucy Ball

Posted by Cricketm z7, L.I., NY (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 10, 05 at 18:43

I have a question about these beautiful Alliums. They just finished blooming and today I cut them down to dry. Any other suggestions on the care of these beautiful Alliums. I also have White Sensation Allium that are blooming right now. I live in NY, Zone 7. Any information would be appreciated.

Marie/CricketM
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Allium Globemaster and Lucy Ball

I leave all my Allium seedheads alone until they break away by themselves later. The seedheads provide interesting contrast to other plants & flowers. This way, I get longer lasting benefits from the bulbs, considering how expensive they are, especially Globemasters.

o

Thanks Pitimpinai for your input. I will leave them on next year. I thought they were like daffodils and tulips -- that you cut the flower off after it is done blooming because you don't want them to go to seed. You learn something new every day with gardening. Thanks again.

o

If you let the globemaster and purple sensation go to seed, will it take too much energy from the bulb that next year the bulbs will not produce as big of flowers?
I read somewhere that one of these varieties produce sterile seeds. Does anybody have information on this? Thanks. Geezer

o

My 'Globemaster' did not produce seeds. The ones that were well fed and not crowded by other plants came back the same size as before and produced baby bulbs.

o

I'm deadheading my alliums - even the sterile ones, and dug up my alliums afterwards. They are coming back each year - whitout any decrease in bulb or flower size.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here