Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gemini_jim

Did I cook my garlic?

gemini_jim
16 years ago

It's my first attempt at garlic. One of my garlic varieties looked ready, so I harvested about 10 bulbs yesterday. (Sorry, I was completely disorganized when I planted about 6 varieties last October, so I don't know what kind they are). The bulbs look nice and some are pretty big, even the spindly plants had nice bulbs.

Anyway, for some reason I thought I was supposed to cure them in the sun--maybe that's for onions? Today it got up to 95 and I happened to read that they should be cured out of direct sun. That was around 2:30, and the bulbs were really warm. I immediately tied them up and hung them in the garage.

But now I wonder if they will cure or store properly, and if the flavor will be affected. I've got more varieties waiting, and I will do better by them!

Thanks,

Jim

Comments (3)

• iacche
    16 years ago

I'm not an expert on garlic. I usually cure mine on the front porch, where they get good air circulation, but are out of the sun (and any rainstorms that pop up).

E. Smith's Vegetable Gardener's Bible says the curing process can take as long as two weeks, until the skins are completely dry and the necks are tight.

R. Engeland, in Growing Great Garlic, says some commercial growers leave it in the sun for several days. Engeland says it's a bad practice, but if commercial growers do it, I doubt you completely ruined your crop. Engeland says it's best for it to cure at a fairly consistent temperature.

Consider it an experiment. (A good deal of my gardening ends up being "experimental.") Note which ones these were, and compare these with the rest of them in taste, texture, storage, etc.

Hope it turns out well.

And I'm glad I'm not the only one who forgot what varieties were where in the garlic beds. :)

• gemini_jim
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well two weeks later hanging in the garage, I'd say about half the bulbs are curing well, mostly the big ones, and half feel soft. When I break up the soft bulbs, the peeled cloves have sort of a translucent appearance and a mild roasted-garlic flavor. One clove was opaque on the bottom and translucent on the top, and the opaque part had a good strong bite. I'll use these bulbs up. Shame, this was the soft-neck garlic that's supposed to store longest. The rest of my garlics, still in the ground, are hard necks. I won't make the same mistake with them. Maybe garlic can be cured in the sun, but maybe not so well in Maryland when it's 95 degrees!

• garlicman2
    16 years ago

Yeah jemini you cooked 'em.We have all done it,but it was less the heat than the direct sun.A post above mentioned "Growing Great Garlic" by Ron Engeland, read it and then read it again year after year. I read it every year before planting ,before harvest and when it sprouts in the early spring.I seem to learn something new or forgotten every time,that is if one wants to be succesful.Its a small price to pay when you're growing a lot of garlic.

Sponsored