Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bassketcher

when does garlic flower/go to seed?

bassketcher
18 years ago

How can I get some of my garlic to go to seed? I have eleohant and korean in very small amounts. I was thinking of growing the top set bulbs out.

Comments (9)

• coho
    18 years ago

Elephant produces a very nice flower ball. I have never found viable seed. If korean is a hard neck, then it will have top sets or bubils. If it is soft neck, then it won't.
    Elephant does produce varying numbers of small bubils around the cloves/bulb. you can plant those. It helps to scarify the thick bubil skin. Nothing I know of that you can do to change any of this.

• sparky_10
    18 years ago

Glad I read around a bit before posting....this answers my question! I have LOTS of Elephant garlic around my property that I just began harvesting today. Was wondering what caused them to grow back after I pulled up the plant.

Bubils, you say? That's what those little mini-clove looking, dangly things are? Tried looking that word up in a dictionary and gardening book but didn't find it. You think I can pull them off the harvested cloves and plant them somewhere else? Could I give these to friends to grow garlic?

What a wonderful coincidence this is! Just as I'm thinking about this, I visit here, and here you are discussing it.

• paquebot
    18 years ago

Bulbils are formed on a stalk above ground and in lieu of flowers. Bulblets are formed underground and beside or around a larger parent bulb. Those elephant garlic "thingies" have been called a lot of things but bulblets should be the proper name unless someone else can come up with something better.

Martin

• gardenlad
    18 years ago

Martin, I thought they were called corms.

Bulblets, on the other hand, are the ones found in certain hardnecks that, for some reason, form a bulbous mass a few inches above ground. And bulbils, of course, are the ones found on top, where flowers/seeds form on regular plants.

• garliclady
    18 years ago

On elephants I agree with GL they are called corms.
    We havested over 500 lbs of elephant this wekend You ought to see all the corms we have !
    Garlic lady

• bassketcher
    Original Author
    18 years ago

How do you grow out the corms? Do I treat them the same as garlic cloves?

• paquebot
    18 years ago

Look up the definitions of bulblet and corm. Bulblets are "small bulbs produced at the base of a parent bulb" or "small bulb formed at the base of a mature bulb."

Corms are generally part of the actual root system and often just a swollen stem base. Those "things" produced by elephant garlic would fall within the bulblet definitions, not corms.

Martin

• garliclady
    18 years ago

If you google Elephant garlic/corms you will see that most of the time the small thingys no matter what the definition are called Corms.
    If you google elephant garlic/ bulbets you will find that most of the references of bulbets will talking about cloves of garlic themselves
    Most important is the growers of elephant garlic refer to them as "corms"

• paquebot
    18 years ago

Searching for elephant garlic corms finds only the Garlic Store calling the bulblet "thingies" corms! However, they do not meet the biological requirements to be called a corm.

Martin

Here is a link that might be useful: Elephant Garlic Corm Search

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus