Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I let my garlic flower?

Posted by aphroditelaughs Puget Sound (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 5, 05 at 20:17

It would be so pretty, but does it impair the flavor of the garlic to let it flower before harvesting?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I let my garlic flower?

You should take it off. It takes energy away from the bulb when you let it bloom. Most people prefer to eat the flower stalk (scape) anyway.

o

3 of my types of Garlic, polish hardneck, spanish roja and another that I foget, all have a real long scape (i guess that is what you call it). The leaves are just starting to turn yellow at the tops ( i planted 100 cloves last october) and the real healthy scape has been growing out the top of each one for a couple weeks. Is GarlicLady saying I should cut the scape off? or is that scape eventually going to flower and then cut it off? Thansk for any help with teh scape and what to do or not to do with it....

o

Hi, Yes you should break the scapes off to help increase your bulb size, but don't throw them away as they are very good to eat.
Gary

o

• Posted by soren Zone 9 Sun 17 (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 8, 05 at 12:24

If you've never seen one flower, then I think you should leave one scape on. Just to see what it does.

o

Gary,

This is a 1st for me...so what part do you eat? And how would you eat it?

o

Peggy, the entire thing is edible. That includes the scape itself, the spathe, and the bubils inside the spathe.

However, if you let them go too long they toughen up and turn woody; and are generally inedible that way. Try and break them off no later than when they first curl. If they've straighened out, then still break them off, for the sake of bulb development. But don't bother trying to eat them.

o

Thanks Gardenlad,

Drat...I did wait too long, they're woody. I've never had them flower before so I wasn't sure.

o

i put my garlic in about 3 months ago. when will it be ready? its the first time i'v done it. please help, i need more info.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here