Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Super hot garlic varieties

Posted by Lorabell 8 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 5, 13 at 20:49

This is my first year of successfully growing garlic. I failed miserably last year trying to grow hardnecks down here in NC. I have about 20 varieties this year, mostly creoles and softneck artichoke type. Most as super mild to medium at best.

I'm looking to get a hot and superhot that would work down here. I did have a little success with monviso but the bulbs are really small...don't know if that is normal as I can't find good info on that variety.

Sooo, what are everyones favorite hots/superhots...
Appreciate it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Super hot garlic varieties

Oh well.....

o

Do not know if the hotties I grow in coastal NoCal would work for you, but you seem to need a reply so here I go:

German Red and Korean Red seem pretty hot to me, one is a softneck the other a hardneck. The Music tastes hotter than some of the others I grow. Of course, all are hotter when fresh than when they get older and start to dry out.

o

Might want to try Chinese Purple or Tzan, both are Turbans and should do ok. My favorite is Russian Inferno, not a big garlic. Will knock your socks off! Is an Asiatic but only seed supplier that provides it is We Grow Garlic in Wisconsin. Should grow ok for you. You might also look into Asian Tempest another Asiatic. Ajo Rojo is a creole that I really like and is considered strong. I have grown all of those successfully and I plant in 8b.

o

CoachJohn, thanks for your suggestions. The Russian inferno sounds perfect along with Asian Tempest. I grew a brown tempest and Ajo Rojo this year and sure would like one a few shades hotter ...I've got hope now! Off to We Grow Garlic.
Stil krill, thanks for your reply. I replyed to my message just to get it moving...hated it at the top.;;oh well.

o

Metechi is one that is hot and has done well for me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here