Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sold out for season....!

Posted by Lorabell 7b 8a (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 28, 12 at 20:57

I have been searching the garlic online stores for this Fall plantings and everyone seems to be 'sold out for the season' all ready. Didn't realize I had to preorder so early!

Only my second year of garlic, last year I made the big mistake of ordering from ebay...ja, I know better now. All the garlic must have been top setter clones(extremely tiny seeds were sent to me) because, even though they all grew 1/2 to 3/4 inch in size, not one got cloves out of the 6 types I ordered/planted-just a bulb like an onion! I just scratched that as a learning experience.

So, if anyone could share their ordering sources with me I would greatly appreciate it. I'm looking for softnecks (I'm in NC) and a few creoles. Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sold out for season....!

Forget the on-line stuff. Your best bet is ALWAYS farmers markets.

And you said this is your second year. Did you not save some cloves (the biggest, plumpest ones) for the next year?

Buying a few heads in an organic store will also work. Found crazy big purple heads of garlic in a small farm stand yesterday from California. Hate to buy non-local stuff, especially from 3 thousand miles away, but half of these babies are going in the ground in November.

Getting shut out on-line is probably the best thing that ever happened to you. Explore, my friend.

o

Farmers Markets it is then. I am on a mission. The two local farmers markets that I attend I have yet to see garlic for sale this year or last year... but I'm going on a road trip to Nebraska next week and will stop at every stand along the way!

I did keep the garlic this year, it's out curing now. THe grandbabies did mix them all together for me so I don't know the korean hots from the mild sweets... Ahh so is life.
Kinda like that box of chocolate, don't know what you get till you bite into them...

o

I think you are looking a bit early. I've been doing the same...

The online sources are probably harvesting, or soon will be, and will update their sites.

Many state that they will be "open" in August.

o

Many folks here on this site including myself sell garlic for planting at very reasonable prices.

We are gearing up to harvest in a week or so so if you have any interest you can email me at madroneb at yahoodotcom for the availability list. We also start shipping in August.

I hope this plug is not breaking any forum rules.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here