Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garlic Scapes

Posted by sconticut 6b (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 10, 13 at 21:04

I dutifully remove my garlic scapes from my hardneck varieties every year. Am I wasting my time? Thery are quite tasty in a stir fry but does anyone know of any definitive study which proves that removing them results in larger Garlic bulbs at harvest?

Victor

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garlic Scapes

No, I don't have a study for you. But I do have 18 years of experience growing garlic for market and in the next 2 weeks i'll be harvesting from 800-1000 lbs.

Every year I miss some scapes from plants that are harvested and bundled in the drying shed with the others. They are always small.

Do you really need a study to believe something? Why not leave a scape or two on your own plants and find out for yourself?

-Mark

o

Thank you Mark (madroneb),
Here we have been growing garlic for 30 years but in not nearly the quantity that you do and so I do appreciate your comment. I have followed your suggestion about leaving a few scapes on (sometimess by accident) but there are just too many variables to rely upon this as a test of the effectiveness of scape removal. I am approaching my mid eighties and have seen so many legends and old wives' tales prove to be false that I just look a bit askance at things nowadays. However, I will continue to remove them until science and a well designed research project shows the practice to be ineffective. Thank you again for your response. It is appreciated.
Victor

o

Mark,
Do you by chance sell seed? I am looking to try some new varieties next year.

o

Victor, thanks for the smile you just put on my face.
I did find this quote on the U of Minnesota extension website: "Research in Minnesota has shown that yields can be reduced by 20% to 30% if the scape is allowed to mature. Yields are most affected in poorly fertilized soil, and only minimally (<5%) affected in high organic matter, well-fertilized soil."
Although they don't seem to link to the study itself, i'm sure it can be found.

Incidentally, the scapes have become a good extra source of income for me, increasing the total value of the garlic by about $1/lb. Go figure?

AlliDeSpain, yes I do sell seed garlic and very reasonably. Check my page here for my farms website and you can contact me through it. We start shipping seed garlic around august first.

-Mark

Here is a link that might be useful: U of M Extension

o

Thanks Mark.

o

mark, the link has a lot of good info, BUT (and it's a BIG but...) university of minnesota recommends round-up as the first line of defense against weeds???? no mulch or hand weeding mentioned... dislike, big time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here