Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
my first year growing garlic

Posted by smokymist 7 East TN (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 17, 13 at 21:08

I planted 5 different short rows of garlic in a large raised bed last November. I am in zone 7, TN. I have cut off the bloom scapes and watched this like a mother hen along the way. I harvested two rows last week of a small creole garlic, braided them and have them up drying. I have three more rows left, two of which are elephant garlic ( which I understand is more of a leek ). I have asked gardening friends and they tell me that when the leaves start to brown you can dig your garlic. To test that theory today I dug up an elephant garlic that had browned the most, and what I got was a big single bulb with a few tiny bulbils growing on the side, but it didn't look like a big garlic bulb with multiple cloves like I expected. Did I dig too soon ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: my first year growing garlic

Don't worry, you didn't do anything wrong. It's common for elephant garlic to make singles.
The odds are that most of the others will be more garlic like.

Timing when to dig elephant garlic is tricky and I find it better to err on the safe side. If you dig early it's maybe not quite as big, but if you wait too long it splits and does't look good for sale and won't keep quite as well (this doesn't matter if your not selling it or don't have much to store).

-Mark

o

This is my first year growing garlic, too. I dug mine a little early due to gopher activity. (Scapes appeared, and I cut them off, and a few leaves had turned brown.) Eight total plants. A couple of bulbs were good sized, one small and the rest medium. When I first dug them out, the individual cloves were hard to see. I thought it was one big clove. But now that they have been curing for a week or so, I can see the individual cloves. Maybe something like that will happen to you, or maybe that is even normal for full term garlic. Like I said, this was my first year.

--McKenzie

o

I have edited this post so no one will be led astray. Thanks for correcting my grave error,

This post was edited by still_kris on Wed, Jun 19, 13 at 9:13

o

Stillkris, while it's nice to leave advice here, it should be about something you know. People reading this in the future will think they should leave the flowers on their elephant garlic and what will they get? Smaller heads.

As I said, from my experience growing a lot of elephant garlic for sale is that every once in a while it just doesn't divide. If it's something other than genetics, I can't say.

-Mark

o

Thanks Mark...my other garlics did so well, I just thought I had done something wrong with the elephant. I should post a picture too

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here