Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
molly_adams8725

scapes...i'm gonna have A LOT. what to do?

Molly Adams
10 years ago

does anyone have good ideas with what to do with a LOT of scapes? freeze? or ???

Comments (9)

• skeip
    10 years ago

They are excellent tossed with a little olive oil, salt and pepper and grilled, we ate about 300 that way last year, they can be pickled, they can be ground in the food processor and used to make compound butter which can be frozen and used all winter. Yum, I can't wait for mine!

Steve

• hortster
    10 years ago

I wash the heck out of them then dry them for a while, bag 'em up in freezer bags of 10 then use them, as skeip does, for the rest of the year.

Just because you have good finished garlic doesn't mean that you cant enjoy the lighter flavor of the saved scapes in food.

hortster

• planatus
    10 years ago

I cut my fattest garlic scapes into little pieces, blanch them in steam until they change colors, and freeze in little bags so they are ready to use from the freezer. I like them better than either onions or garlic in egg dishes, and my newest trick is to include them in buttered breadcrumb toppings on casseroles.

The skinny little scapes from my smaller varieties we use fresh. They will keep in the fridge for a month. Do cut off the flower end, which is too tough to eat and can make refrigerated scapes lose their crisp texture.

• carol6ma_7ari
    10 years ago

I saute some in olive oil and make garlic pesto out of the rest. Just parmesan cheese, olive oil and the scapes, and you can freeze it in small quantities.

Lots of scapes this year here in my RI garden, so we'll be eating pesto all winter!

Carol

• Molly Adams
    Original Author
    10 years ago

carol, my computer won't take me to your page...where in the giant state of ri are you?

• seysonn
    10 years ago

"I cut my fattest garlic scapes into little pieces, blanch them in steam until they change colors, and freeze in little bags "
    -----------------------------------

There is no need to blanch them . You can Just freez them as they are. I DO freeze also leeks, chives .. the same way. When defrosted in ref, will be as if they are fresh.

• Molly Adams
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thank you all!!! great info. look out scapes, here i come!

• Mrs.WinterWheat
    10 years ago

I have heard of pickling them...it is my first year planting garlic :)
    From what I have read, you just stuff them in the jars (after washing) and process like pickles.
    Good luck!!

• tatreanna
    10 years ago

One beautiful word: pesto

We put it on pasta, proteins, dip bread/chips/pita in it. Love the pesto, particularly because there are thousands of variations on how it can be flavored.

Sponsored
WM Design Studio, LLC.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Loudoun County's Skilled Residential Architect | 4X Best of Houzz!