Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hortster

OK, shallot growing pros, opinions...

hortster
14 years ago

Geez. I have been involved in horticulture for a long time, as well as being a veggie gardener, but this is my first year raising shallots. Right now they look great.

My questions are these: 1) should shallots be planted in spring or fall? 2) plant the smallest or largest bulbs from the previous crop? I'm in zone 6A. I planted mine this spring from smaller, ordered in bulbs and as I said, they look great. Surfing around I read conflicting theories.

The first is that the SMALLEST shallots should be saved for the next planting because they have the fewest "growing points," I am assuming that means fewer interior cloves per bulb. I have read that these will produce fewer, but larger shallots. I have also read that I should plant the largest bulbs because they will produce smaller, but MORE offsets and more production by weight. Whoa. Unconfuse me.

I have read that shallots should be planted in fall to get an earlier harvest (June vs. July here). I have also read that they should be planted in spring to prevent bolting (mine have not bolted and the foliage is beginning to drop).

Ya'll - opinions, please. Much appreciated from an old hortster, but newbie to shallots!

Thanks, hortster

Comments (3)