Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
georgia_transplant

Garlic and potato onion failures

georgia_transplant
14 years ago

At the beginning of November last year, I planted yellow potato onion sets (from Southern Exposure Seed Exchange) and garlic cloves (a Creole variety I bought from Gourmet Garlic Gardens). I planted them in 9" raised beds filled with a few different types of compost, about 4-6" apart.

The garlic tops seemed to grow well, produced flowers and then the leaves turned brown. Then I harvested them. The onion tops grew (although not as full as some onion tops I've seen, but maybe that depends upon the variety?), then after about half to two-thirds of them flopped over, I harvested them too.

Each garlic plant I pulled had about 6-8 cloves, but they had not coalesced into a head of garlic. The onions I pulled looked exactly like what I put in the ground - very small onions. I didn't see any evidence of pests or disease in any parts of either the garlic or the onions. I read somewhere that the garlic not forming heads may be a moisture problem. We just had one of the wettest winters and springs on record here, and I did almost no additional watering as a result.

Any suggestions? I e-mailed Southern Exposure Seed Exchange and so far they haven't gotten back to me.

Thank you for any help you can offer. I am still a very new gardener and so far my luck has not been very good.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio