Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rescued Garlic. Now what?

Posted by rebecca12 Oregon (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 3, 07 at 21:51

Today while helping my grandma weed her backyard I saw that she had pulled a garlic plant. Mainly we were bagging the weeds. She pulled it before I got there. Don't know exactly where it came from. I really like garlic. I told her if she didn't want I'd like it. Well, now it's resting on my parents backporch. All I have is the bulb and a seed pod.

The weather has been mildly hot, humid and somewhat dry during the day. As for the night it cools off some but still is somewhat humid.

I've never really done any gardening and would like advice on my first go around. I would like to pot them and not plant them in a garden. As the soil at my place is mercury heaven.

I have gone through and looked up things on garlic but can't seem to figure out somethings.

Here are my questions retainning to the 'rescued garlic':

What type of potting soild do I need to plant it/them in? Is there a special type or just any old potting soil?

Are they fine to plant now or should I put them somewhere and wait? If wait than how should I store them?

Is there anything I should read/whatever about garlic? If so what?

Anything else I should know about garlic?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rescued Garlic. Now what?

www.TheGarlicStore.com is a good source of info on growing garlic and getting some interesting varieties to grow.

From www.TheGarlicStore.com:

"Yes, you can grow garlic in pots! Plant cloves in a good size pot and after several months harvest decent sized bulbs. And here is a trick from Chinese chefs...plant the cloves in a mixture of rock and sand (like paperwhites) and keep well watered. As the green shoots grow to 6-8 inches, start snipping off the green shoots for a delicious green garlic garnish for all kinds of food. The plants will keep producing for many weeks!"

Here is a link that might be useful: The Garlic Store

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here