Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
flowering walla wallas?

Posted by toad_ca z8WA (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 26, 08 at 21:56

I planted walla walla onion starts a couple of months ago. Two of them have just formed the start of small flowers (still green and unopened) on stop of the stalks. The others haven't. Do I need to cut these off or harvest the onions quickly? I've never grown onions before so I'm totally in the dark.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: flowering walla wallas?

You might as well pull up those two and eat them. As far as I know onions will not form bulbs once they try to flower.

o

Onions will still form bulbs if they flower, but they will not keep, so you wiill need to eat them soon after pulling.

o

Thank you both.
I read that I'm supposed to "cure" them in the sun for a week after pulling. Is that correct? What does that do for them?

o

Hi Toad, good to see you!

Pull your onions up on a sunny day if you can, then let them sit in the sun for another day or so to dry (in hot climates this usually takes just a few hours). This drying kills the root system at the bottom of each bulb. The roots will be like little brittle wires when they're dry.

After drying the onions in the open for a day or so, it's time to bring them under cover for a second, longer drying or "curing" process.

To cure the onions, spread them out in any warm, airy place out of the sun, such as on a porch. Onions are ready to store when the skins rattle and the roots are dry and wiry.

I grew a few walla walla's myself this year. They're so sweet!

Enjoy em!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here