Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Onion and Garlic Drying

Posted by Geezer66 Ohio (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 11, 05 at 22:37

I think it was Martin who mentioned that he hangs garlic and onions to dry hanging in a tree. Is this ok to do and rain doesn't bother them?
I need more room to dry besides the shed and was wondering if anybody has ideas of where to hang them around homes. I have plenty of trees if that works.Thanks. Geezer

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Onion and Garlic Drying

• Posted by coho z8/9 N. Calif (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 12, 05 at 1:00

Geezer,
I will let Martin speak for himself, but I would not leave them to dew and rain. Also I don't hang the onions by the leaves. The smaller tops dry and bulb often falls off the string. You could set up shelves of hardware cloth, say 1/2" and lay them on the shelves to cure. I just spread them out on cardboard but then I have a lot of floor space.
You can hang the garlic in tiers, ie up high and then lower and lower. about 12 to a bunch for the smaller. I do 8 for elephants.

o
RE: Onion and Garlic Drying

I indeed have left them out through a rain with no problem in the past but that is not my normal procedure. That tree-hanging was something done mostly with the shallots. If the garlic got sprinkles, it wasn't always intentional! After a brief drying, I've got 4x15 plastic mesh bags which are hung from the rafters of the garden shed. I can only fit about 15 normal garlic bulbs in each so they easily allow air to circulate through them.

Tree-curing for shallots is out now. Apple tree got a major pruning this year and only the deer-hanging branch was left!

Martin

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here