Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hosing Down Garlic and Onions??

Posted by Geezer66 Ohio (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 26, 05 at 22:54

Would there be anything harmful in gently hosing the dirt off freshly dug garlic bulbs and sweet onions? I need to use the 8 by 32 porch ceiling to hang the plants but I don't want the dirt falling on the porch. The allium obsession is getting out of hand and hanging to dry space is diminishing yearly.
Thanks. Geezer

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hosing Down Garlic and Onions??

I wouldn't hose down the garlic but if you rub the dirt off the roots , trim them , and rub loose off the bulb you should be fine.

o

i wouldnt wet them either, I have heard it is done commercially, but they might be artificially dried then?

o

I do hose off, but once done, they immediatly sit in my greenhouse on a big open piece of screening with a fan blowing up from underneath them. I do this with potatoes too. Neither have any surface moisture left the following day, but are left in this environment for a few more days just to be sure. Potatoes, however, need to be kept in shade, so I place a dark cover over my greenhouse (just an 6x8 foot size)..

o

I'd always heard that you shouldn't wet down alliums. And I listened to that advice; until the year I had no choice but to harvest out of wet clay.

Only way to remove the dirt was to swish each bulb in a pail of water, and lay it out on a work surface to dry.

Every since, that's been my procedure. I clean each bulb in the pail, then lay them out on a table where it's warm, but not in direct sunlight. Once they're surface dry (which takes a surprisingly short time, during the summer), the bulbs get bunched and hung.

This will be my fourth year following that regimen, and I've yet to lose a bulb.

o

I agree, I always swish them in my rain barrel before I hang them in the shed, no harm done. Just be a little genlte on them, because when the skins are moist they tear easy.

o

With alll the air movement from below the screen from the big fan, mine also dry quickly as do potatoes. With potatoes, however, the skins are very fragile until they dry out, so you do need a bit more care in handling.

o

sometimes it rains after i pulled the onions (do not grow garlic) while they lay in the garden for a day or two. i dry/cure them in a shed no fan on wire racks for about 4 weeks. no problems.

tom

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here