Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any way to cure garlic without a shed?

Posted by nygardener z6 New York (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 18, 06 at 23:37

Well, I've got a bumper crop of hardneck garlic coming up but have no toolshed or other spot to cure it ... and don't want the house to reek of garlic for weeks. Suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any way to cure garlic without a shed?

Anywhere that doesn't get rained on is fine. A shady area is great, but in a pinch even a sunny area can work.

All that really matters is that the bulbs stay dry and are allowed to dry enough that several layers of papery, dry skin form. This 'seals them for freshness'.

I have no shed, I just dig the plants up and lay them on some wood right next to the garden in full sun. It works fine. Actually, I have even had the curing garlic get rained on. I just leave them sit longer. Not a real precise thing.

o

I usually don't let the garlic cure in the sun so that I don't take a chance that they cook but that may be just me. Normally, I tie the hardnecks in a bundle of 10 or so with a piece of twine and hang them from under the porch roof. They get decent air circulation and dry down in a couple of weeks. If you have a garage, maybe tie them from the rafters or hang them from under the eaves if it's big enough? A tree with a dense canopy to shield most of the rain could also work well if you have nothing else.

o

Anyplace where it's out of direct sunlight and doesn't get wet does fine.

If nothing else, you might get one of those cheap dining canopies for outside use, and just hang the bundles in there. Indeed, that could be a pefect environment: dry, airy, and out of direct sunlight.

o

Well, I harvested it today and found the perfect spot to cure it under an eave, breezy but dry and out of the sun. A few choice cloves will go into tonight's dinner. Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here