Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tracydr

Garlic hard to peel

tracydr
13 years ago

Harvested my garlic two weeks ago and it is so hard to peel. Those thin little skins just don't want to let go! Did I cure it wrong? I left it out in the shade, we're pretty hot here. It was out for about a week. This is common silverskin, soft neck from the store that I planted. The store-bought stuff is easy to peel but not this.

Can't complain about the taste, though, it's much better than from the store!

Comments (8)

• wcthomas
    13 years ago

Silverskins and other softnecks are the most difficult to peel. Longer curing will help somewhat but may take months to make a significant difference.

Rocamboles are the easiest to peel but like a cold winter, so you may be a bit too warm in zone 9b to get decent bulbs.

To speed up peeling, break the bulbs into cloves and place them in a large metal bowl. Then invert another metal bowl over it and shake vigorously for 30 seconds. This will loosen the skins considerably, and almost remove them entirely for some varieties like Rocamboles.

TomNJ

• tracydr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Tom. I'll give this a try. The whacking with a knife is crushing with skins intact. It's especially bad with the smaller cloves, which is a lot considering they have an outer medium layer and the rest are small.
    Taste is excellent, I guess the difference between store bought and home grown.
    There are some hard neck varieties that do ok in Phoenix that I plan to try for next year.

• cyrus_gardner
    13 years ago

It has to age and cure longer for the skin dry up.

• tracydr
    Original Author
    13 years ago

In the meantime, I found that a few seconds in the microwave really helps

• kristincarol
    13 years ago

I have no patience for those teeny-tiny cloves. They would go straight into the compost bucket (I say "would" because I refuse to grow varieties that do that to you.)

• promethean_spark
    13 years ago

You can always squish the tiny cloves and use them in marinades, ect, where it won't go into the final food so you don't have to worry about the skins. I've also noticed that just-harvested garlic is harder to peel because the skins aren't as papery and stick to the clove better, time should help.

Usually I smash a clove with the side of my chef's knife to burst it's wrapper and make it easy to peel.

• sandy0225
    13 years ago

Get a hand held gadget called a garlic press. I got a martha stewart one at kmart a few years ago for less than $10. It basically smashes the cloves and the skins stay inside. You can use even your teeny cloves and bulbils of garlic that way. Pretty neat gadget.

Here is a link that might be useful: k mart garlic press

• kmatcek
    13 years ago

I grew hundreds of creole garlic this year and they are really small. I was wanting to sell some but its too small or so I thought. I have garlic press and put about 4 cloves in it and it is great. I may try to sell the garlic with a press included it beats selling none at all.
    I need to find a source for really cheap presses that I can package with the garlic.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor