Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Silver Rose w/scapes

Posted by bloosquall Wa 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 5, 09 at 2:18

I've got 950 Silver Rose (silver skin) plants this year...something very odd happened to them, they have grown scapes. I have never seen this happen before to a softneck. Any other growers out there have this happen?

-bloo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Silver Rose w/scapes

My softneck garlic does this all the time. Mostly blots 1/2 way up the stem before the bulbils explode out! I think it happens because of my colder norther climate. Maybe you had a rough winter?

o

The purple striped soft neck I plant does this, too. Some years more so than others, but generally about 1/2 the crop will scape. This year far less and we did, in fact, have a warmer than usual winter.

o

Some softnecks can bolt if stressed, such as very cold weather. Silverskins are normally considered a strain that "infrequently, incompletely, or weakly" bolt, but they are more sensitive than others to climate.

In "The Complete Book of Garlic", the author Ted Jordan Meredith states:

"Creole and Silverskin cultivars are in groups that are at the genetic threshold for bolting, where environmental conditions play a major role in dictating whether bolting will occur",

and

"Under some growing conditions Silverskins almost always bolt, while under other growing conditions they almost never do."

According to this book, some Silverskins may fully bolt in northern climates, especially if they were grown in warmer climates and then planted up north. Since you are in Washington, I suspect this may be the cause.

Other cultivars that may or may not bolt according to environmental conditions include Creoles, Turbans, and Asiatics.

As an organic garlic farmer Travis, I'm sure you have a well worn copy of Ron Engeland's book "Growing Great Garlic", but if you don't yet have Meredith's book I highly recommend it! It is beautifully illustrated and very comprehensive.

TomNJ

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here