Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chloe_l

Garlic: 2 huge cloves per bulb. What went wrong?

chloe_l
13 years ago

Hi all.

I started growing garlic a few years ago. Since then, I am growing a few different cultivars of mainly porcelain types. Just harvested a few thousand bulbs of German Extra Hardy garlic, and the majority of them are doubles. Two huge cloves per bulb. Most of the bulbs are over 2 inches in dia, with only 2 cloves, each clove a half circle. A few of the the bulbs were 2 inch rounds. In previous years, this garlic generally grew on average between 4-7 cloves per bulb, but this year, only 2. I pulled up a few samples of the other cultivars of garlic which isn't ready yet, and they are mostly doubles as well. I'm trying to build up stock, and only 2 cloves per bulb kinda stinks.

Did I do something wrong? Maybe not enough or too much of a nutrient? The plants were very healthy, well irrigated and fertilized, with many of them growing well over 5 ft tall with the scapes cut off. Could it have been the weather? We have had unusually hot weather this past spring which heated up the ground real quick, and maybe porcelain garlic doesn't like hot springs?

Any suggestions would be appreciated, so this doesn't happen again.

Thanks.

Comments (2)

Sponsored