Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help me pick my choices and ID one I already have please

Posted by andreaz6wv 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 25, 08 at 8:12

Hi all,

I am doing garlic this fall and was at a farmers market yesteday and a booth had garlic. The girl working it didn't know the name of it, tried to call someone but couldn't get an answer.

Anyways, it's a white bulb and the cloves have a purple skin on them. I bought a dozen bulbs and she sold them to me for $6.00. Does anyone know what kind it might be?

Now, I called another farm I knew was harvesting garlic this year to get some from them and I don't want to get something I already have. They have 6 types this year and they are $10.00 per pound.

Spanish Roja
Georgia Fire
German Red
Bogatyr
Russian Red
Nootka Rose

So, my questions are if anyone knows what the one I described might be and if you had these 6 to choose from, what would you pick? Also, is $10/lb. a good price?

Thanks,
Andrea

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help me pick my choices and ID one I already have please

I also wanted to ask if these varieties are all hardnecks?

Thanks again,
Andrea

o

Andrea, it's nearly impossible to know what your garlic is as there are MANY, MANY varieties that it can be. I believe all listed are hardnecks except Nootka Rose.

Here's an EXCELLENT site with pics of many varieties. Start with this link, it will help you understand the differences between types. Then when you're done with that page, click on the link named Garlic in the upper left to go to the varieties and pics. They are listed alphabetically, and with some slangs too.

Hope this helps!

Mark

Here is a link that might be useful: Jeff Nekola's Heirloom Garlic page

o

I should have probably said that Jeff's site is one of the best for pics & history. If you need taste descriptions, try places like The Garlic Store, gourmetgarlicgardens.com, etc.

Every year now, I grow Music, Spanish Roja, Siberian, German Xtra Hardy, Simonetti (a large softneck), Martin's, and other varieties. This year I'm growing 24 varieties including 6 or 7 asiatic/turban types that aren't known to do well up north.

Spanish Roja is a good choice and a true garlic flavor, so be sure to try some.

o

I called the farm today and spoke to someone who told me I got German toughneck? He recently took over this farm and that is what he was told. Anyways, I plan on planting some of that this fall along with 2 other varieties he has. He sells his for $3/lb. I found some Spanish Roja for $10/lb and I will probably order the Music since I hear so much about it, but haven't found a local source.

Thanks so much,
Andrea

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here