Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
veggieluv

Question on Homegrown Onion Sets

veggieluv
17 years ago

I'm getting ready to try out a technique described by Dick Raymond in a GardenWay book from the 1980's. He lives in Vermont, sows globe onion seed mid-July and harvests onion sets in the fall to store over winter and plant out the following year.

I know (from reading the Allium Forum, not from experience!) that sets do tend to want to go to flower and seed. My question is: if I allowed/encouraged some sets to go to seed in the bed, would I be able to make a permanent/perpetual globe onion seed bed?

I have Southport White Globe, Sweet Spanish Utah, and Granex hybrid seed.

Thank you for considering this question.

Comments (6)

• catherine_nm
    17 years ago

From my reading, it looks like if you store them at temps over 50 degrees for a month before planting, and only plant sets that are smaller than a quarter (some sources say nickle), they will produce bulbs rather than seed. But yes, if you want to harvest seed AND bulbs, you could plant all of your sets, regardless of size. I don't know about a perpetual bed, though. Wouldn't you want to renew the soil every year? Onions like it fairly rich.

Catherine

• veggieluv
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Catherine, thank you for your reply.

Actually, I got this idea for a permanent globe onion bed from William Woys Weaver. He's a vegetable historian (!). He wrote an article on how about 150 years ago commercial onion growers used the same beds along the mid-Atlantic coastal plains year after year.

I'm always looking for easier ways to produce food in my small garden so I thought I'd give it a try. I'm wondering which of my 3 onion varieties would be best to use for this experiment.

The bed could be enriched by simply top-dressing with good compost, since onions are shallow-rooted (?).

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

"Permanent" is not the same as "perpetual."

I have permanent alliums beds, as do several others here. All that means is that we use them, year after year, for growing garlic and onions, amending as necessary.

A perpetual bed, on the other hand, would be one in which some plants were bulbing while others were self-seeding. As Catherine points out, this is less than feasible with heavy feeders like onions, because they would rapidly deplete available nutrients.

• veggieluv
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you for your input, gardenlad. I can see that this idea needs more work. Well, I'm sowing my globe onion seed into containers today for transplanting out into garden later in the season. Lots of time yet to think about where I'll put them and for how long. Thanks again.

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

One other point that might be germane.

Jeptha Yoder, from whom several of us get Bottle Onion sets, doesn't sow seed until August. He's in the greater Lancaster area, so that might make more sense for you than what somebody in Vermont is doing.

Also, why are you bothering to set seed in flats for transplanting? To produce sets, just direct sow, very thickly, and let 'em rip.

• woodcockk_msn_com
    13 years ago

When your onions start the blooming process do you cut off the tops or leave them on?

Thank you

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths