Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nhsuzanne_gw

Garlic is harvested

nhsuzanne
14 years ago

Now I have more questions!

My garlic is all out of the ground and lying in piles according to variety in a cool dry place. I did not bang alot of the dirt out because I didn't want to bruise it. Here in NH it has been raining for the best part of two months! My garlic was in raised beds and I took the opportunity to get them out while it was somewhat dry before the next round of rain.

My questions are:

Should I tie the garlic in bundles and hang it? or leave it lying on their sides?

Will the dirt eventually be able to be brushed away?

I have read conflicting things about harvesting garlic. Are you supposed to cut the roots back or leave them.

I am planning on drying my bulbs for about 4 weeks. Does that seem correct?

Any other advice would be great! Thanks to all who have advised me to get this far. I am so proud of my first harvest!

Comments (5)

• wcthomas
    14 years ago

Tying and hanging the garlic provides better air circulation and looks really nice, but they will cure on a table. You might want to turn them over periodically. No need to braid - a piece of coat hanger wire around the center of the bunch with a hooked extension works well. Just bend the leaves above the tie and hang.

I brush off most of the heavy dirt right after pulling, then leave the garlic on a table for a few days to let the remaining dirt dry. Then I brush them clean and hang under my patio roof.

Leave the roots and leaves in place during curing. After they are cured, cut the leaves down to about one inch and the roots to 1/2 inch.

Curing time varies according to humidity and air circulation, but four weeks is generally long enough. You can use it as needed anytime during curing.

Be sure to label the varieties, and you may want to record their size as well for future comparisons.

TomNJ

• TJG911
    14 years ago

i agree with all tom said. i try to get as much soil out of the base as i can. last year it took probably 4 minutes per bulb to clean the wet soil out of the base. this year it took about 1 minute. if it is dry i can shake it out in 4 seconds!

tom

• nhsuzanne
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It will definitely be easier to get the dirt out after it's dried a bit. I read not to knock them around too hard because it would bruise them and leave them open for fungus.

What temps should curing garlic be? I have read conflicting things on this too but I think 65-75 is good.

• wcthomas
    14 years ago

A little warmer is faster, within reason. The curing barns in the pacific high dessert can get into the 90s. I would think your outdoor summer temperatures in NH would be ideal. Be sure to keep them out of direct sunlight so as not to "cook" them, but a little early morning or evening sun is okay.

You are correct that you should avoid bruising the garlic. I bang the dirt filled roots with my hand trowel when digging them, just to knock out most of the dirt, but am careful not to hit the bulbs. After the remaining dirt is dry I brush them with a vegetable brush, but be careful not to take off too many wrapper layers.

TomNJ

• TJG911
    14 years ago

i shake them to knock off as much soil as possible as i lift the plant out of the ground. then i then gently tap the bulb against the palm of my hand. i am careful to be gentle because you are correct about not bruising the garlic.

tom