Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mari_88

Help me choose some garlic in WNC

Mari_88
11 years ago

I will be devoting a section of garden this fall to garlic. I want to start small so i thought i would try out one hardneck and one softneck variety. Ill want to use the garlic for cooking and making pesto primarily. I live in the NC mountains where snowfall is hit or miss...i would 2like to try varieties that people have grown in my neck of the woods, but ill also try anything once!

So many varieties to choose from! Thanks everyone :)

Comments (8)

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    11 years ago

Since no one has answered and I don't know,since I live near Greenville SC.

You may want to post this on the Carolina forum on the main page. People living near you may have an answer.

I hope this helps!

• gemini_jim
    11 years ago

Mari88, I can't really offer any "local" advice either; I'm in Baltimore. But we're both in areas I would categorize as not too extreme for any kind of garlic. I've successfully grown hardnecks of the purple stripe and porcelain groups, and softnecks of the artichoke group for a number of years. I would think anything offered at Southern Exposure Seed Exchange (which is located right between us in central VA) would work in your area. I'm also going to try a creole variety this year.

Good luck and enjoy growing garlic! It's probably my favorite thing of all to grow.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garlic: Southern Exposure Seed Exchange

• Mari_88
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the advice! I will repost this on the carolina forum. I will probably order garlic from we grow garlic in WI. Ill see what they have to offer in purple sripe and artichoke varities. Im really excited to grow some great tasty garlic!

• jolj
    11 years ago

I use we grow garlic.com
    I think they are in zone5-6, but not sure.
    This was my first year & my garlic did not do as well as I hoped, but I think that was my fault & will use them again this year.
    I would like to try a Southern garlic grower also.
    Thanks for posting this thread.

• Mari_88
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jojl, do you remember which variety of garlic you tried?

• lorabell_gw
    11 years ago

I'm over in the Sandhills in NC and this was also my first year growing garlic. Didn't do so well then realized I planted all hardneck which do well up North, not so good down here! Elephant ear are about the only ones that produced cloves, the rest just single bulbs bearly larger then what I planted in the first place.

I ordered 6 varieties of artichoke garlics from a grower in Louisiana and have a few cloves to spare if you are interested...

I heard creole grow well down here but am having a hard time finding any to even buy, everyone seems to already be sold out.

Anywise, yell at me if you want to try any of my artichoke.
    And yell to me if you end up ordering creole and want to share a couple cloves with me!

Laura

• jolj
    11 years ago

I had 5 kinds.
    1) a cloveless garlic from a friend, have only 4 bulbs.
    2)Italian Loiacono, that did okay from WGG.
    3)Chinese Red & White, that did best,from WGG
    4)Duchanbe, that did bad & was cured wrong & rotted from WGG
    5) a Greek galic as a bonus from We Grow Garlic(WGG), that I never found, so I am not sure if I lost it or It rotted.
    I am going to order the same three to see if I can make a go of them. I am going to order at least two new kinds & one kind from a different site.That way I will have to sites to order from next Fall/2013.
    I am hoping that someone on this thread can give me a good site also.

• gemini_jim
    11 years ago

You might try gourmetgarlicgardens.com They are based in TX, but also source from small growers around the country. They might still have some creoles in stock. I learned from previous years to get my orders in ASAP!

Here is a link that might be useful: Gourmet Garlic Gardens