Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluespiritartist

Walking Onion or Shallots?

bluespiritartist
10 years ago

For several years I grow what I believe are extremely large walking onions, they taste and smell just them but are roughly 4 times the size of the walking onions. Even the bottom bulbs are huge and now I'm wondering if shallots form bulbils on top of stems? These also produce 2 sets on top just like walking onions.

Comments (15)

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    10 years ago

They are walking onions. Shallots don't produce bulbils. I clip the top set of the topsets off though because I feel like the bottom ones grow larger when I do. Here's a pic of mine:
    {{gwi:365040}}

Rodney

• bluespiritartist
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am so glad to hear that! Thank you :) I did not realize that there are different sizes of walking onions and needed to find this out and this is for sure what I have.

• DixieGardner
    10 years ago

When they first form? I apparently have the walking onions and I have left them on until all the other stems have dried up and fallen over. I save those, and a few of the bottom bulbs to replant for next years crop. My bottom bulbs range in size from large peas to tennis ball size. The larger ones are always already dividing, though.

• planatus
    10 years ago

I always cure the bottoms of my walking onions and harvest elongated "shallots" from them. The above-ground bulbs on mine are extra large this year from all the rain.

• bluespiritartist
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have never harvested the bottom onions until the other day and was amazed at the size and now need to find a better place for them to multiply

• josephlee
    10 years ago

Hello
    They look great - by chance would you trade or sell a few of your walking onions? I am also looking for multiplier onion set and potato onions as well.
    Have a Good Day.

• happytomato2008
    10 years ago

Hi, I have walking onions and can trade for some garlics that I don't have. Judy

• bluespiritartist
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My apologies for not answering your post josephlee, I believe I must have forgot to click on receiving posts from here but now I have changed that. I would be happy to trade you some extra large walking onions for some things on your list. I am hurrying to go somewhere for the day and will not be back until tonight but will look through your list as soon as I can.

• bluespiritartist
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Judy, I'm not quite sure if you are responding to me or to twohorses post.

• josephlee
    10 years ago

Hello Judy
    Please check my list and let me know if anything on my list you would like to trade.
    Have a Good Labor Day!

• tucson_tomato
    10 years ago

Dear Rodney,

Those are some really good looking walking onion plants. How large do the lower bulbs grow?
    I live in the South and I have been looking all over for a large-setting walking onion. What variety do you grow? I grow purple sweet potatoes and all kinds of veggies if you would like to trade. My blog is scientificgardener.blogspot.com if you would like to see what I have been growing.

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    10 years ago

Tucson_Tomato- I honestly don't have a clue as to how big the underground bulbs get. I only use them as green onions and I don't harvest nor divide them except in spring and fall when they are regrowing. Once the base starts to thicken up and they start to form a stalk I leave them alone, letting the topsets form. I really feel that taking the uppermost topsets off the plant allows the lower ones to get larger.

They are Egyptian onions (not sure if it's a generic name or variety) and I won't have any topsets to trade until summer.

Rodney

• planatus
    10 years ago

When I have cured out the bottoms of mine, the shallots were about two inches long and less than one inch across, and very much elongated.

• Martiniquehome , Zone 10, San Diego, CA
    10 years ago

Hello,
    I would love to have some of the walking onions, and by trade or sell them. Please email me. Thanks.

• bluespiritartist
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I had just traded the last of my walking onions until summer.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm