Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Walking Onion or Shallots?

Posted by bluespiritartist 5a (bluefd40@gmail.com) on
Wed, Jul 24, 13 at 10:28

For several years I grow what I believe are extremely large walking onions, they taste and smell just them but are roughly 4 times the size of the walking onions. Even the bottom bulbs are huge and now I'm wondering if shallots form bulbils on top of stems? These also produce 2 sets on top just like walking onions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Walking Onion or Shallots?

They are walking onions. Shallots don't produce bulbils. I clip the top set of the topsets off though because I feel like the bottom ones grow larger when I do. Here's a pic of mine:
 photo EgyptianOnion2_zps2b18a288.jpg

Rodney

o

I am so glad to hear that! Thank you :) I did not realize that there are different sizes of walking onions and needed to find this out and this is for sure what I have.

o
When do you cut the bulbils off?

When they first form? I apparently have the walking onions and I have left them on until all the other stems have dried up and fallen over. I save those, and a few of the bottom bulbs to replant for next years crop. My bottom bulbs range in size from large peas to tennis ball size. The larger ones are always already dividing, though.

o

I always cure the bottoms of my walking onions and harvest elongated "shallots" from them. The above-ground bulbs on mine are extra large this year from all the rain.

o

I have never harvested the bottom onions until the other day and was amazed at the size and now need to find a better place for them to multiply

o

Hello
They look great - by chance would you trade or sell a few of your walking onions? I am also looking for multiplier onion set and potato onions as well.
Have a Good Day.

o

Hi, I have walking onions and can trade for some garlics that I don't have. Judy

o

My apologies for not answering your post josephlee, I believe I must have forgot to click on receiving posts from here but now I have changed that. I would be happy to trade you some extra large walking onions for some things on your list. I am hurrying to go somewhere for the day and will not be back until tonight but will look through your list as soon as I can.

o

Hi Judy, I'm not quite sure if you are responding to me or to twohorses post.

o

Hello Judy
Please check my list and let me know if anything on my list you would like to trade.
Have a Good Labor Day!

o

Dear Rodney,

Those are some really good looking walking onion plants. How large do the lower bulbs grow?
I live in the South and I have been looking all over for a large-setting walking onion. What variety do you grow? I grow purple sweet potatoes and all kinds of veggies if you would like to trade. My blog is scientificgardener.blogspot.com if you would like to see what I have been growing.

o

Tucson_Tomato- I honestly don't have a clue as to how big the underground bulbs get. I only use them as green onions and I don't harvest nor divide them except in spring and fall when they are regrowing. Once the base starts to thicken up and they start to form a stalk I leave them alone, letting the topsets form. I really feel that taking the uppermost topsets off the plant allows the lower ones to get larger.

They are Egyptian onions (not sure if it's a generic name or variety) and I won't have any topsets to trade until summer.

Rodney

o

When I have cured out the bottoms of mine, the shallots were about two inches long and less than one inch across, and very much elongated.

o

Hello,
I would love to have some of the walking onions, and by trade or sell them. Please email me. Thanks.

o

I had just traded the last of my walking onions until summer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here