Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
"Hugh" Blub

Posted by Mike0262 NY (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 18, 13 at 11:02

I moved my garlic patch at least two years ago which was on the side of my house. I let the area grow over with weeds, but it appears that I must have left one plant against the foundation. Didn't pay much attention to it until I saw the scape and realized what it was. The leaves and bulb was easily four times the size of my normal crop. (Normal crop has always been on the "small side] I only grow the same stock of bulbs for about 15 years. It is hard neck and I believe German. I always assumed that any garlic left in the soil after harvest would just rot. I plan on plating it in the fall. Any comments? Where did these monster come from?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: "Hugh" Blub

I haven't a clue as to what caused it to get so big but definitely use it for planting in the fall. My experience with naturalized garlic is the complete opposite, the plants grow in clumps and the bulb size diminishes to almost nothing.

Rodney

o

Hope that I uploaded correctly. The bulb on the left is my typical "largest" blub that I will harvest. The one on the right is my, well....my Frankengarlic

o

I doubt that it is regular garlic but perhaps ELEPHANT GARLIC, which technically, is more like leeks and onions in flavor.

PS
how come it does not have roots ??!!

o

I am sure that it is my garlic. I've been using the same batch for at least 15 years. I hardly ever buy garlic and never Elephant "Garlic". Oh, the no roots? I ran out of my stuff and at first I was going to cook with this baby, just to taste it. After cutting off the roots, I changed my mind and decided to see what happens next year, after planting it this October.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here