Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Candy apple onion tops dying back

Posted by CaraRose 5b (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 12, 13 at 11:10

I've noticed the tops on some of my candy apple onions are dying back. Should I just pick them now or will they bulb up anymore? They're still smallish but definitely useable.

They're in my cold frame and we had something like 5.5 inches of rain recently in a few hours. They may have gotten briefly flooded with that kind of torrent. Think that may have caused them to die back prematurely?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Candy apple onion tops dying back

Typically when finishing up, onions will show a little fading and then start to fall over, bending at the neck while still green. If they're not doing this and actually dying back, meaning browning or yellowing while still keeping the necks firm, they might have had some root die-off due to the flooding.

I'm not sure what to suggest other than keeping a close eye on them and see if they recover. Maybe pick a few and make sure they're not rotten in the center.

The only harm from harvesting early is that they won't keep well and this is only an issue if you have a lot.

-Mark

o

I've experienced the same thing. We haven't had flooding, but it's rained almost every day. My Spanish onions matured & the tops fell over & I pulled them. But my Candy onions are like yours. I didn't know if it was because they are "intermediate day onions" growing here in "long day" territory...

Mick

o

Obviously, when the top is faded away and the stem is softened, there is no interaction between the roots and the top, MEANING : the bulbs will no longer grow bigger. Then there is no point in leaving the onion(s) in the ground, that in the rainy /wet soil, there is a risk of mold and rotting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here