Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Onions soft at neck

Posted by gardenvt Zone 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 18, 12 at 11:36

I am growing Ailsa Craig and Red Zeppelin onions. Some have had leaves turn brown so I harvested them early. Some of the onions are now bent over at the neck though the foliage is still green.

We had a bad storm last night and I found even more bent at the neck. This is way to early for Ailsa and Zeppelin even with this crazy heat and dry weather we've had. Or is this the problem?

Should I harvest them and let them dry?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Onions soft at neck

You don't say if they have developed large onion bulbs or not. If they have, and they are falling over, they are finishing up and all is well.
Onions usually stay green after falling, the shouldn't turn yellow/brown like garlic until after harvesting.
If this is the case, let them sit for another week to finish sizing up and then harvest.

However, if they haven't bulbed but are falling, you do have a problem.

o
RE: Onions soft at neck

They definitely have bulbs that are of a decent size but these onions shouldn't be ready to harvest until mid to late August - 104-110 days from transplant. Also, Ailsa shold be a pretty large onion and these are of average size.

So, perhaps the weather has caused them to think they are done early?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here