Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puzzlefan

Shallots Plant in fall or spring for zone 5

puzzlefan
13 years ago

My apologies if this is a repost. I can't find it although I thought I started it yesterday. All the shallot bulbs I purchased (grocery and garden shop) are producing small, not usable bulbs. Should I harvest them the end of this year and replant in the spring or can I just separate and replant them this year? No nice shallots for hummus this year, I'm discouraged.

Comments (2)

• hortster
    13 years ago

Seeing as how one of the (normally) easy crops has fizzled, I would trash everything and start again, but HEY, that's just me. I guess that is due to my initial experiences while growing shallots (newbie - 2 years).
    First, buy seed stock that is from a reputable source. Stuff from grocery stores often has been treated with "growth inhibitors" to prevent sprouting so the shallots remain saleable (and eat-able?). Hmmmm.
    I got my original "seed stock" from one of the "big" mail order companies. I received first year "rounds," 3/4" to 1" length. Planted each year at (or close to) March first here in zone 6A and have had two good crops. I used the smallest leftover cloves of the previous years' crop as my seed stock. Hey, it seems like ther is no bolting if you do a spring (vs. fall) planting. I get sizeable bulbs, usually 4-7 on a finished plant.
    The soil has been worked with compost and is crumbly if dug with the fist - high organic content, yet with enough clay to hold some moisture.
    Hope this helps you.

• hortster
    13 years ago

Seeing as how one of the (normally) easy crops has fizzled, I would trash everything and start again, but HEY, that's just me. I guess that is due to my initial experiences while growing shallots (newbie - 2 years).
    First, buy seed stock that is from a reputable source. Stuff from grocery stores often has been treated with "growth inhibitors" to prevent sprouting so the shallots remain saleable (and eat-able?). Hmmmm.
    I got my original "seed stock" from one of the "big" mail order companies. I received first year "rounds," 3/4" to 1" length. Planted each year at (or close to) March first here in zone 6A and have had two good crops. I used the smallest leftover cloves of the previous years' crop as my seed stock. Hey, it seems like ther is no bolting if you do a spring (vs. fall) planting. I get sizeable bulbs, usually 4-7 on a finished plant.
    The soil has been worked with compost and is crumbly if dug with the fist - high organic content, yet with enough clay to hold some moisture.
    Hope this helps you.