Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garlic rotting?

Posted by hobo_42 MD (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 29, 10 at 11:46

My fresh garlic (cured for about 3 wks on a rack with a fan blowing on it) looks like it may be rotting in the skin.

On the surface it looks perfect--the papers are white and the cloves seem firm. But when I peel the papers back, the skin closest to the clove is reddish-brown streaked and tough. It feels moist and the clove inside is mushy and discolored, though not the entire clove, only about half of it. I found one which seemed like it may have mold in between the reddish-brown papers.

Does it need to be dried longer? Or do i have something more serious here?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garlic rotting?

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 22, 10 at 20:23

Sounds like they have a problem.

o
RE: Garlic rotting?

It could be that your garlic wasn't ready to be pulled. You can of course harvest garlic any time after the bulbs form, but normally (for keeping garlic) you wait until the tops have fallen over and the stalks are mostly (some say 70% as a guide) dry. Then pull them up. Where I live people (including farmers with big fields of garlic) pull the garlic and let it dry in the field for some time. So it seems like that is the most likely problem.

If you want to harvest early, you need to use the garlic up quickly. They sell "green" garlic at the Farmer's Market near me and I have purchased it with very good luck, but I didn't keep it long :D.

Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here