Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
reach_for_the_sun

Should I harvest this garlic!

Reach_For_The_Sun
12 years ago

This is my first garlic experiment and all I read about knowing when to harvest is that it is tricky, just about as much art as science etc. I have 5 varieties, Belarus, Yugoslavian, Siberian, Paw Paw, Italian Purple, maturing in that order it seemed. It was put in last November, removed most of the mulch mid April, started removing scapes about mid June.

I would say that I have probably 1/3 browned leaves for most of them. I left 3 scapes on the Italian Purple and they are standing straight up. From what I looked I don't have any heads that are drying out and breaking apart. I pulled 2 of the Belarus and from what they look like I am pretty certain that I did not care for them very well as they are small heads.

Here are some photos:

http://ge.tt/8Jp6zH6

So the question is for those of you with way more experience and knowledge than I have, Is it time to harvest my garlic?

Your help is greatly appreciated

Comments (5)

• GarlicFiend
    12 years ago

After looking at your pictures, I would say that you could harvest now as the heads you showed were fully formed with excellent clove definition and nice size. They could probably go a week or two longer if you're brave. I saw that the base stalk was still upright and strong and not laying down and darker brown and wet. When that happens you're in danger of having the stalk come apart from the head when you try and harvest. The second sign I saw was that the scape pods were not yet bursting. I always leave 2-3 scapes in a section to act as warning signs for me that I am letting something stay in too long. When that scape pod bursts, get the heads out of the ground.

So, you look to have a very nice harvest coming and just when to pull is up to you.

• johnnp
    12 years ago

Looks like they are ready. Your bulbs will not get any larger in a week or two. I agree with garlic fiend that they appear fully formed with great clove definition. If you wait any longer you run the risk of the bulbs splitting and or loosing some bulb wrappers therefore sacrificing shelf life. The first year you plant you usually do not get very large bulbs. It usually takes around three years for them to acclimate, so save some seed for next year. Also size depends on your soil etc. Did you get seed stock locally? That also plays a role in development, the closer your seed stock is to you the better. Hopes that helps.

• Reach_For_The_Sun
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you both for the helpful advice.

It decided to rain so I will wait until things dry up to harvest. Or is it Ok to harvest when the soil is wet?

I bought my seed from gourmetgarlicgardens.com, so not locally, but chose the option from them to buy ones that would grow best in my zone/climate.

Yeah, I probably did not have the best amended soil, but I grew it as an experiment, so much to learn.

Can you explain a little more about the three year acclimation, I don't fully understand.

Thanks again

• GarlicFiend
    12 years ago

People claim that garlic "adapts" to a zone over three years; that is to say that the largest heads and best average sizes will not be achieved until three years because the garlic is adapting to your specific climate and soil. I slightly disagree.

Every year I take the best cloves from the biggest heads and replant those. So, I am choosing the reproduce only the biggest and strongest. That's kind of like natural selection, but I am doing it myself. My judgement says what will work not survival of the fittest in nature. Every year I am also learning more about planting, amending, tending and harvesting.

So, I would say that after about three years, a typical garlic (fiend) grower would have done selection and experience to a level where most of the garlic that he or she is planting will achieve close to its genetic potential. I do not believe that the garlic itself changes, only which cloves are reproduced and which are eaten.

• Reach_For_The_Sun
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks again for the insight. I will keep this in mind should I plant garlic again. I'll save those big heads. I only have so much space and so many other things I want to try growing. So only time will tell.

Thanks

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH