Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Identifying Garlic

Posted by wolverine1012 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 2, 12 at 12:22

I have some garlic grown from "grocery store" garlic. I know that it is softneck, but it there any way to further identify it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Identifying Garlic

It would be near impossible to find out for sure. If it was from the U.S. and you had the information on the bulk packaging there would be a chance by making some phone calls. You probably have "California Early" or "California Late" if it was produced in the U.S.. If it was imported, who knows.

Probably best to just call it Garlic. Best of luck!

o

I have some of that I've. I think it is "California Early." I'm pretty sure it's an Artichoke variety in any case.

o

It really doesn't matter what it is, we'll just use it for cooking. Only curious if there was a way to classify other than hard/soft neck.

o

Softneck garlic can be further classified as Silverskin or Artichoke.

Hardnecks can be classified as Porcelain, Purple Stripe, Marbled Purple Stripe, Glazed Purple Stripe, and Rocambole; plus three others that often produce softnecks but are still classified as hardnecks- Creole,Asiatic and Turban.

I agree with the others that if it's a softneck from the grocery store it's probably either 'Cali early' or 'Cali late'.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here