Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joedes_gw

Need some advice

joedes
14 years ago

I tried planting garlic for the first time. I used the best gloves from shop purchases. One set was white and the others were small red ones from Spain (very tasty!)

I used deep du boxes with plenty of well rotted FYM and put a straw mulch on them once a touch of frost hit the sprouts. I planted Oct. 15 and harvested July 4th.

I have posted some photos on the gallery (type in joedes garlic in the search). I know I left the white ones in too long and the picture shows it. Can I use these for seed? I'm trying to climatise some garlic for our wet but warm climate and increase seed stock. I would like to expand the garden to supply garlic (already do onion) to local shops/rests.

Also the reds ones seem better but kind of small? The soil was well drained and fertilised, but I did not add more fertiliser in March/April as some forum notes mentioned. Am I expecting more than I should from this batch or will yields and size improve with time?

I also have to look at the option of buying in new seed altogether so any advice on variety would be much appreciated. Our climate is warm but wet and only has a surface frost for December and maybe once or twice up to Easter. Soil is peat with sand mixture and PLENTY of FYM.

Thanks - joedes

Comments (2)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH