Return to the Allium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing garlic - possible in zone 4??

Posted by mdgardengurl MD Zone 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 5, 06 at 13:16

I have a friend in zone 4 who wants to know if she can grow garlic. Here in zone 7, I plant in fall, overwinter, and harvest in July. If anyone knows if it's possible to grow garlic in zone 4, I would really appreciate you letting me know. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing garlic - possible in zone 4??

As long as your friend chooses the right varieties, I think garlic will do just fine in zone 4. There are several folks on this forum that grow hardneck garlic in zone 4 - from northern New England through the upper Midwest - so it's definitely possible and with good soil, fall planting and a little help from the weather, your friend should get really good yields. Encourage them to give it a shot ... garlic is one tough plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Minnesota garlic for cold climates publication

o

Thanks so much for the information and link. My friend will be very happy! :)

o

I grew my first crop of garlic in Zone 4 this summer--& just harvested 24 beautiful plants. What I did was go to my local farmer's market last fall and buy heads of two varieties that the farmer had grown locally (i.e., in my zone). I planted the cloves in October and was delighted to find them green and gorgeous when I returned to my garden (from the city) in March--when all else was brown and dormant.

Perhaps your friend can find good, local varieties--or locally adapted/appropriate varieties by paying a visit to the nearest farmer's market in the late summer/early fall.

o

I harvested my first crops in July. I amended my soil heavily with compost and planted Inchellium Red (softneck) Chesnok Red and Red Czar (hardnecks) in October and mulched heavily with straw. They came out great! Very satisfying to grow and great taste!
Sally

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Allium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here