Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lakedallasmary

need help identifiing onion

lakedallasmary
16 years ago

Last year I planted Texas super sweet and white libson bunching onion seeds in January. They did not sprout. So I got more seeds, but this time I planted tokyo long white bunching. I scattered those seeds in April. They did not sprout either. I later found out I was supposed to plant onion seeds in the fall here in north central Texas. oh well.

I had planted them rather close to some tomato plants. In the fall I was cleaning up and removing my tomato plants, and discovered onions growing under there. Interesting. I wondered which type they were. I was going to plant peas in that bed, so I had to move the plants. I planted them under a small live oak tree and let them do what they wanted to.

The next spring, they did not seem as if they were getting enough sun (kinda floppy) so I moved them to a flowerless flower bed by a fence. Have onions will travel, he he.

Anyway, still wondering what they were, I let them go to seed. They did not produce flowers, but got bulby looking things that fell over when the plant dried up. I still wondered if they were seeds, so I cracked one open, there were no seeds inside. They smell very oniony. So these guess must be top set onions. They are very tiny, about 3/8ths of an inch long.

I had always thought they were the tokyo white bunching ones, but now I don't know.

Here is more info in case you might be able to help me to figure out what they are. They did not make a big bulb so I would not think they were the Texas super sweet. The bulb was rather straight down from the stem and did not flare out. The stems were fanned, and looked like a leek I think, not as fat though. This lead me to think it was the tokyo ones. But I did not think they were top set. Both libson and tokyo say they are bunching onions. I thought bunching onion multiplied under ground like a daffodil would.

Maybe I should just plant these guys some place, (although I have not clue where, sun, after noon shade?) and not worry about what they are. They made it through winter with no help from me, so they are texas tough!

I already looked at google images, and it did not seem like either of the bunching ones. The libson ones where bulby shaped and these aren't. The only picture of the tokyo ones that I found where very small, but might be a very immature onion.

Mary

Sponsored